Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Two New Summer Reads

I've been reading a lot this summer and have loved every second of it!  Its been a while since I've written a book report  so I'm here to catch you up on the two books I just finished.

My first read, The Mennonite in the Little Black Dress, is the story of coming home to your roots.  It is a memoir, self explorative piece in which Rhoda Janzen goes through a series of upsets including a horrible car accident, and a divorce.  In the midst of it all, Rhoda returns home to her family of Mennonites and joins them for a summer vacation in the western U.S.  Rhoda realizes and appreciates the strict culture she was raised in, while simultaneously appreciates her determination and career aspirations.  In a way it reminds me of Eat, Pray, Love in which Liz does some serious soul searching and finds the person inside that she is comfortable with.

The other book, The Alternative Hero, follows Clive Berresford and his quest for finding out why his favorite band, The Thieving Magpies broke up after a promising headlining gig at Ayelsbury.  Anyone who knows me, knows that there are a few rock stars in which I would follow, stalk, and admire and should the band break up, will always hope that they get back together.  One day, Clive notices that the lead singer of the Thieving Magpies lives just a few doors down.  He follows him around the block, and figures out a way in which he can contact Mr. Webster and find the truth behind Ayelsbury.  After some speed bumps, challenges, and a little background history, one can appreciate the passion Clive has to speak with one of his heroes.  This is a great summer read, and I highly suggest it to anyone that loves music, can appreciate behaving like a 12 year old girl who loves the backstreet boys (or jonas brothers since they are now hip).

On another note, I was in Boston last week to visit my friend Andrew.  It was an awesome trip!  We went to Fenway saw the Red Sox v. Rangers game, explored the city, and definitely ate our way through the city.  It was a short and sweet trip.  I'm just trying to convince him to come and visit Austin!  Hopefully he will!

-B

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers